Saturday, November 3, 2012

WHoo's asking?

 
 This past Wednesday, as the "sirens went off" and the excitement set in for the quest to collect as many snickers bars and skittles as possible, I was approached with an honest question from my very 1st trick or treater at 6:01pm. An 8 yr old boy, who lives down the street, came to my door, and through his little mask asked, "Why do people HAVE to say Trick or Treat on Halloween?" (I thought to myself, that's actually a great question. No one gives out the CHOICE for a trick!) In school and at home, kids are used to receiving choices on tasks to make a selection. My neighbors son has made me re-consider my options for kids next year. I may might include $1 store decks of playing cards for kids who would rather take the "trick" with them on their 2 hour quest. Who needs 101 pieces of bite sized chocolate anyhow?
 
In the hustle and bustle of set-up for Halloween, poof the holiday is gone. Here are a few pics from 10/31 in our new home. A gently used table, with ladder back rush seats and a rustic pine finish was illuminated by a black runner and placemats which had silver & white skeletons dancing on their decor. All of the items came from Targets post-Halloween clearance a few years ago.

 
One inexpensive way to set the stage for trick-or-treaters is by using landscape lights. The covered porch was illuminated and inviting for kids of all ages using corn stalks, hay bales, pumpkins, and mums. A little spider (given as a gift form the neighbor) was hung on one of the stalks, and a wooden white ghost sign that said BOO greeted candy seekers.

 
The last and final pic. was from the Union St. Farmers Market in Manhattan, just days before Hurricane Sandy landed into town. It was a beautiful crisp sunny 65 degree Saturday morning. My husband and I strolled through the park, admiring the fall foliage while taking in the jealousy of modern Urban living. New York City did an amazing job of setting the fall tone, hay stacks and mums, just like on your midwest porches, were stacked on busy street corners. Bringing a sense of home and peacefulness to the hustle and bustle of the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment